If you’re familiar with Jamaica, I can probably bet you never knew half of these interesting FACTS about the Caribbean island…
It has the most ‘Churches’ per square mile, more than any other country in the world with 1,600 and that number is growing. Source – Guinness Book of World Records.
· It was the first country in the Western world to construct a Railway, even before the United States and this was only 18 years after Britain!
· It is the first Caribbean country to gain Independence (1962).
· It is the first Team from the English-speaking Caribbean to qualify for the Football World Cup. This was in the 1998 Championship.
· It stands strong in 3rd place on the list of countries to win the most Miss World titles! The only countries to have won more times are India, Venezuela and the UK but, considering the size of Jamaica, you have to say that this achievement is monumental!
· It was the first Island in the Caribbean to produce Rum on a commercial basis.
· The Manchester Golf Club in Jamaica, established in 1868, is the oldest in the Western hemisphere!
· The world’s fastest Man and Woman are Jamaicans, Usain Bolt and Shelly-Ann Fraser.
· It was the first Country to impose economic sanctions against the apartheid regime of South Africa.
· It was the first Caribbean Island to enact legislation, ‘The Motion Picture Industry (Encouragement) Act’ to promote the making of Films.
· It was the first tropical Country to enter the IOC Winter Olympics – the Bobsleigh Team’s efforts inspired the film ‘Cool Runnings’.
· The Doctor Bird (Trochilus Polytmus) lives only in Jamaica and is one of the most outstanding of all the species of Humming Birds.
· It has the second largest Butterfly in the world – the Giant Swallowtail.
· It was the first British colonial territory to establish a Postal Service (in 1688).
· It was the first Caricom Country to liberalize the Telecommunications Sector. Since then, other Caricom Countries have opened up to competition.
· It was the first Country in the Caribbean region to launch a website – www.jamaicatravel.com – this was in 1994.
· The Jamaican Flag is the ONLY flag in the world that doesn’t share any of the colours of the American flag.